Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tombstone Tuesday - Angelo and Louisa Abbate

Angelo and Louisa were my paternal great grandparents and I love that my parents chose to name me for Angelo because he and his wife, I have decided, are my new favorite ancestors. These two courageous people took the risk of a lifetime and left their home in Sicily to bring their family to America, Ellis Island immigrants, a true American story!
Angelo left Sicily and his wife and children in 1906 and worked as a plasterer in America for three years before bringing her and their five children, including my grandfather, Vito (Victor) to New York.  They first  lived in the Brooklyn area of New York along with many other first generation immigrants.  I love that the U.S. Census records show that they always had a house full of family. There were fifteen years between their eldest and youngest children and records show that some of their children, along with grandchildren, lived with them even after marriage. In the 1940 U.S. Census it shows that, at 70 years of age, Angelo had four foster children living with his family as well. They were a large Sicilian family who enjoyed hanging out together and laughing and joking around.  I've got the pictures to show it!  Look for more posts on the Abbates coming soon!



Angelo and Louisa are buried at the San Fernando Mission Cemetery in Mission Hills (Los Angeles), California.




No comments:

Post a Comment