Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Fearless Females: How'd they meet?

Today's Fearless Females blog prompt: Do you know the story of how your parents met? Your grandparents?

I'll have to go to grandparents on this one and it is a story told on my very first blog post, She's A Solid Lady. The "how they met" story that I know is of my paternal grandparents. First, however, let's get their names straight!



Grandpa: Born Vito Carmello Abbate, grandpa went by Victor after arriving in America. Sometime during the early to mid-1930s he changed his last name to Abbott. From that day on he was known as Victor C. Abbott.

Grandma: Born Lena May Stockton, grandma preferred to use her middle name for a first name and her first name initial as a middle name. Got that? She went by May L. Stockton. When she and grandpa were first married they used the last name Abbate but she too decided to "go by" Abbott. From that day on she was known as May L. Abbott.


So, when I asked my aunt (their daughter) how they met, here's her response:
"How did Lena May and Victor meet? I believe they met in Miami on vacation. It was the "in" thing to do for the Ohio crowd to visit Miami during the winter months, and Victor must have done the same. Somewhere there are photos of them hanging out at the beach. Other members of Victor's family must have been in Miami too, because my mother told me they were never allowed to date as a couple. One of Dad's sisters always had to be along!"  

Victor and May Abbott
Austin, Texas
July 1972


No comments:

Post a Comment